Moving into a new home can be an exciting experience but between moving furniture, unpacking boxes and organising utilities, it can be easy for new homeowners to overlook security at their new home.
Thieves are opportunistic by nature and will prey on those who are seen to be an easy target. With removalists coming and going, and new home owners distracted, burglars can easily take advantage of the situation.
Before you’ve settled into your new home, take time to address the security. The following tips are designed to help home owners keep their new home safe and secure from the moment they move in:
- Change the locks. One of the first things a new homeowner can do is call a locksmith to have all the locks, including window locks, changed. You never know how many key copies the previous owners had or gave out to other people.
- Conduct a security audit. around your new property, take a walk around and try to think like a thief. Address any maintenance issues such as fences that may need repairing or trees and shrubs that require trimming back. Check the locks on all doors and windows to ensure they aren’t loose, including the garage and shed.
- Install a security system. A monitored home security system is one of the most effective ways to keep your home secure. ADT Security’s monitored alarm system is connected to a 24/7 response team who will notify you immediately if the alarm is tripped. Meet with an ADT security advisor to complete the risk assessment and design so your system install can be planned in advance.
- Ensure the home is well lit. Installing a motion sensor light is often an effective deterrent for would-be thieves who will generally avoid properties with bright lights.
- Introduce yourself to the neighbours. Creating a positive relationship with neighbours will help ensure they are observant while you are in the process of moving and can keep watch over any suspicious activity.
Moving house is a big occasion and protecting your home’s security and its contents should be a major priority for a new home owner. If you’re planning to move house, and are already an ADT customer, ADT Security can help by transferring your security system in advance so that it is already installed for you when you move into your new property. For more details, call ADT Security on 131-238.